How To Select Your Buyer Agent
Find a Buyer Agent who will represent only you, not the Owner/Seller of the home you decide to purchase. Beware many Agents choose to work with both the buyer and the seller in the same transaction; which is not in your best interest. Read more.
Real Estate IS Local
Choose a Buyer Agent who is very knowledgeable about the community you plan to live. A local agent will have in-depth knowledge about the neighborhoods you prefer and the housing inventory vital to accurately determine fair market value now and resale value in the future.
A highly knowledgeable Buyer Agent will provide comprehensive knowledge about relevant properties on the market for sale, under agreement and recently sold to exhibit a solid understanding of the current market, trends and strategies needed to be competitive right now.
Every Agent Is Unique
There are many brokerage firms and agents from which to choose. Be selective to find the agent who will only represent your best interests at all times (and not the Owner/Seller). Bear in mind real estate agents work as “Independent Contractors” and each may offer vastly different levels of service; even within the same brokerage firm.
Real estate agents must be highly skilled in many practice areas to be successful, including:
- Understand and protect your rights within city, state and federal regulations
- Educate, coach and advocate on behalf of Client
- Be personable and respectful to everyone at all times
- Highly accessible to Clients and juggle an unpredictable schedule
- Highly organized, effective with multi-tasking and time management
- Keep current with market trends and provide updated market analysis
- Proficient statistical analysis, ability to spot market trends
- Proven negotiation strategies and techniques
- Effective task and project manager to ensure a smooth closing
In addition to asking agents to share testimonials from their own past Clients, be sure to ask your family, friends and colleagues to share their experiences. Consider asking your mortgage lender, accountant and attorney for recommendations as well. Real estate industry professionals who work with real estate agents directly and regularly are excellent sources to identify seasoned and highly reputable professionals with the highest level of integrity who have earned a long-standing, favorable reputation in the local area you are searching. Interview at least 3 local agents to understand the various types of services offered to find the Buyer Agent who will truly represent you and your best interests.